Daily webcast

Bulgarian National Radio © 2021 All Rights Reserved

81 years since Southern Dobrudzha was returned to Bulgaria

The Bulgarian army enters Dobrich on 25 September, 1940
Photo: archive

On 25 September the town of Dobrich celebrates its day which is connected with this date in 1940, when the Bulgarian army entered the capital of Southern Dobrudzha and the town was liberated from Romanian occupation.

After the end of the Balkan wars, under the 1913 Berlin Treaty, Romania occupied this part of the country, dubbed the granary of Bulgaria. 27 years later, the peaceful return of Southern Dobrudzha was made possible after prolonged diplomatic negotiations which ended with the signing of the Treaty of Craiova on 7 September, 1940. It is the only neighbourhood agreement from the World War II years to have been supported by all warring sides, and it remained in force after 1945.

More from category

St. Ivan Rilski – the patron of Bulgarian doctors

On the day when the Bulgarian Orthodox Church venerates the memory of the heavenly patron of Bulgaria, St. Ivan Rilski (John of Rila) the Wonderworker , medical professionals in Bulgaria celebrate their holiday. It has been celebrated for 25..

published on 10/19/21 10:50 AM
Prof. Nikolay Ovcharov

Silver killer-ring is one of the valuable finds at Misionis

The numerous finds from different periods and of different historical and scientific value discovered this summer show that the town of late antiquity – Misionis - near Turgovishte, one of six major archaeological sites in the country, existed..

published on 10/17/21 1:30 PM

After 100 years, Russian artist restores St. Paraskeva church in Balsha back to its former glory

Elena Adamova is an artist from Saint Petersburg who has made icon painting her life’s work. She came to Bulgaria out of love, and has been married to her Bulgarian husband for 41 years. She started painting icons in the early 1980s, first for..

published on 10/14/21 10:05 AM