Archaeologists from the National Museum of History discovered a grand sanctuary on the island of Sveti Toma (St. Thomas) near Sozopol on the Black Sea.
On the western side of the island they found two ritual pits from the Late Iron Age though there are probably more. The pits were used by the Thracians in the 5th century BC, as suggested by fragments of Greek amphorae found there. The finds show that there once was a roadside sea sanctuary on St. Thomas island. The location was not randomly selected – the sanctuary was built next to the ancient Sozopol-Constantinople road.
The first official expedition to the island, organized in 1955, discovered the foundations of a small church and several outbuildings. Archaeologists say they are the remains of a single-nave church. On the peak of the island the archaeologists form the National Museum of History have found a medieval monastery.